Saturday, May 19, 2007

Disproving evolution part 1

As I sat in church listening to the discussion around me a familiar feeling began to form in the pit of my stomach. It formed unbidden, arising from the deep primordial part of me that is always alert to the many forms of hot air. It was this feeling which shook me from the near comatose state which I had been in, and though I gave no change in expression or posture, I snapped to attention and concentrated on the words of the obese man behind me.
"All you have to do to disprove evolution is to look at the human eye" he said. It was the third time he had made the point, and it was starting to get on my nerves. "Darwin himself recanted his theory because he could not explain the human eye". My teeth clenched, not at the error of his statement, but at the tone with which he made it. I wanted desperately to argue with him, though I knew it would do no good.
The obese man continued. "If you take away any part of the eye, it will not work at all" he said. I raised my hand, an action which part of me found odd. I usually find myself arguing against evolution, not for it, but this man's logic was getting on my nerves.
I wanted to point out the fact that calling evolutionists stupid wasn't going to convert any of them, and that none of the people in the church really needed to hear these outdated arguments again. I wanted to say that we believed in God because of our relationships with him, and because of what he said in the Bible. At the same time, I wanted to give examples of creatures that make use of eyes which lack many parts (planarians with only eye-spots, mollusks with eye spots in pits, box jellies with eyespots in pits that have lenses over them, etc.)
I wanted to, but I didn't. Instead I gave an abbreviated version by saying that defeating evolutionists with their own findings wasn't going to work, and we should probably stick to spiritual things instead of trying to base our faith on anti-evolutionist theories which are often dis-proven. As I spoke one man said "amen!" in a tone that showed he was thinking about baseball. After that the group went back to assuring one another that evolution was a completely retarded theory that people only believed because they wanted to be evil. The logic reminds me of what evolutionists think about creationists, and it's almost as annoying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home